Mental Health Integration
by Brandon Appelhans
How does mental illness intersect with theology, the church, and who Jesus is? Join Brandon Applenhans in dissecting how faith communities can support mental wellness.
After taking this mini-course, students will have an understanding of:
- The definitions of mental health and mental illness (AMI and SMI),
- The frequency and general statistical trends of mental illness within the United States
- The professor's personal experience with mental illness and how it can feel
- The application of Genesis 1, 2, and 3 in brokenness, humanity, and mental illnesses
- The integration of faith and mental health
- The modalities of healing, such as therapy and medication
- Self-care and how to practice it
- The biblical understanding of capacity and worthiness
- How to support someone who has a mental illness
Post in 3 Forums. You will get a completion check indicating you have posted reflections. Also, read and engage with the comments of others.
After you complete viewing the materials and posting your reflections there is a feedback quiz. The quiz will help us evaluate the effectiveness of the mini-course.
1. How much do you know about mental health and illness? How have you learned about it or been exposed to it in the past?
2. Did any of the statistics that Brandon presented surprise you? Why or why not? Do you feel your experiences with mental illness align with the rates that he presented?
3. Why do you think it is important to hear and share stories of mental illness experiences? Do you believe there is a stigma surrounding mental illness? What about in the church? Explain.
- 1. Why are humans still worthy after the fall? Whether or not you have had a mental illness, what has your experience been in your faith journey with feeling less than good enough? Explain. What does the Bible have to say about worthiness?
2. Pick one or two of the questions that Brandon listed in the Integration video. Reflect on how you have struggled or addressed this question in your life? How has your faith guided you in answering this question?
3. Do you find it difficult to be honest and authentic about your struggles? Do you think this can be more damaging in the long run? Give an example of this in your life, related or unrelated to mental health.
1. What do your current relationships with sleep, diet, and exercise look like? Pick one of these to focus on improving in the upcoming month. How do you plan to do so? Do you think that self-care is a biblical concept?
2. Have you experienced trials in your life that further cemented your beliefs after you overcame them? What was this experience like? How do you go from knowing something to truly knowing it and believing it in your heart? Do you find this difficult?
3. Have you experienced the power of someone listening to you and validating your experience? What did that feel like? How can you give this gift to someone else? How can the church and believers adopt this idea?
Interested in the full length course?
Mental Health Integration (3 Credits) - Coming SOON!
Did You Enjoy This Mini-Course? Help Fund More Courses Like This One!
Become a Vision Partner today to help support CLI's mission!
Do you want others to receive scholarships for free training with Christian education and ministry training? If you are able, your participation as a Vision Partner keeps this Christian Education available.
- Get Vision Partners Benefits
- More than 375,000 students have enrolled from over 180 nations
- We offer over 150 courses and mini-courses in six languages: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Ukrainian, and Chinese
Christian Leaders Store - Click Here
Purchase Christian products - all proceeds support more classes and impact.