Enroll meTHE 210 - Theology I (4 credits)Instructor: David Feddes
Featured Authors: Louis Berkhof, Matt Perman, John Piper, J. C. Ryle, and A. W. Tozer
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Timothy 4:16)
Overview: This course considers doctrines about Scripture, God, creation, humanity, sin, and Christ.
- Know various ways God reveals himself and view Scripture as the standard of truth.
- Know glorious attributes of God and worship the Holy Trinity.
- Know key truths about God’s creation and governance of the world.
- Know humanity’s created design and sin’s impact on humanity.
- Know major biblical facts about who Jesus is and what he has accomplished.
- Accept sound, biblical doctrines and reject deviations from orthodoxy.
- Read the online articles for each unit. For your convenience, content is available in more than one format. Usually, the first link for an article is in a format that automatically adapts for easy viewing on cell phones and tablets as well as computers. A second link provides the same content in a PDF file if you prefer that format or if you want to save the file on your device for future reference. (To read PDF files, your device must have Adobe Reader.)
- Listen to online video lectures. For some videos, a corresponding article is posted. Slides for each video are posted as a PDF file. If you wish, you may save the file on your computer and adapt the slides to use when you teach others. If you don’t have Adobe Reader and can’t download PDF, you can click on the other link for slides. This link works on all devices and contains the words from the slides but not any pictures or special formatting.
- Use the discussion forum to ask questions and exchange ideas with others.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz has started, you must finish it, and you can’t retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don’t know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit.
*The course has a total of 240 points: 20 points for each of the twelve quizzes.Grading Scale:
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you wanted to post about.
Accessibility: Some readings have audio versions.
Day 1 - 10
Unit 1: Why Study Doctrine?
Day 11 - 20
Unit 2: God's Book
Day 21 - 30
Unit 3: God's Attributes (Part 1)
Day 31 - 40
Unit 4: God's Attributes (Part 2)
Day 41 - 50
Unit 5: Blessed Trinity
Day 51 - 60
Unit 6: Creation and Providence
Day 61 - 70
Unit 7: Humanity as Created by God
Day 71 - 80
Unit 8: Humanity's Sin and Need of a Savior
Day 81 - 90
Unit 9: Jesus' Incarnation and Ministry
Day 91 - 100
Unit 10: Jesus' Suffering and Death
Day 101 - 110
Unit 11: Jesus' Resurrection and Reign
Day 111 - 120
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can assess high-quality ministry training.
If you are interested in becoming a Vision Partner, click the button below!
Unit 12: God is the Gospel
Read the inspiring testimony of this fellow Christian Leaders Institute student:
CLI Student Kristin Geckle
"Like so many Christians, I was brought up in the church; the daughter of a pastor. The pastors and leaders of my church taught me plenty about Scripture, church history, and the character of God. However, that was the extent of my walk with God. I didn’t know God on any personal level, I simply knew what most Christians believed about Him.
As I entered my teenage years, it was easy for me to walk away from my faith and label myself an agnostic. When I entered my early 20s, I began to feel this pull, so to speak. Despite my disconnect from all organized religion and a definitive believe in God, God was pulling me to Himself. There came a point where I could no longer run from Him and I surrendered my life...
Once again, I became involved in a local church and re-started my study of Scripture. For the first time in my life, Scripture had come to life. I no longer viewed it as an out-dated book of boring stories. Rather, it was theopneustos; breathed by God. The study of the Scripture continued to ignite the passion for God’s truth that I had and increased my understanding of God’s nature. This eventually lead to an interest and love for theology, which lead to my interest in ministry.
I’ve always loved to teach and have pursued that vocationally. Now, I wanted to teach what truly mattered: God’s truth. For quite some time, I have been leading a women’s Bible study. While I have been diligently studying Scripture and theology, I know there is still more to learn that I can pass on to those I teach. I also know I am able to grow as a teacher and I leader. This is what lead me to Christian Leaders Institute. As a working mother, I needed education that was affordable and allowed me to create my own schedule. CLI did just that.
As I move forward, I hope to take my gift of teaching beyond just leading Bible study. My hope is to minister to women or children within the local church. I believe by continuing my education at CLI I will be far more equipped to do that."
Please keep Kristin in your prayers! If you would like to join Vision Partners in supporting Christian leaders like Kristin please click on the link below:
If you already are a Vision Partner- thank you for making this training possible for students like Kristin!
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.
Consider Supporting the Donation-Model of Ministry Training!
You can support donation-model ministry training so that local Christian Leaders receive high-quality ministry training, free of charge.
Can you help? Are you passionate about helping to bring this opportunity to others? Would you love to see even more courses developed at CLI?
Please consider a one-time gift or a monthly gift to support the donation model of available free ministry training everywhere.
93% percent of the world does not have access to high-quality, college-level training. Many in America are strapped with high debt loads. Christian Leaders Institute is hoping to reach millions. We plan to expand into other languages so that Christian Leaders are equipped everywhere.