Women's Ministry (3 credits)
Instructor: Gena McCown
Featured Authors: Jen Wilkin, Gloria Furman, Sharon Jaynes, Susan Hunt, Ligon Duncan, Trevin Wax, Hannah Anderson, Beverly White Hislop
Need help: CLI Help Desk (email@example.com)
"Who knows, perhaps you have come to your royal position for such a time as this." (Esther 4:14)
Background: Gena B. McCown is the author of Women's Ministry with Purpose: A Vibrant, Gospel-centered Approach. She also founded the Women's Ministry Council, South Florida. She has a passion and calling to serve her sisters in Christ through writing, speaking, and teaching: www.GenaBMcCown.com.
Overview: This course empowers women to minister to their unique needs and perspectives to other women. You will learn the importance of women in Scripture and Christian history, develop a vision for ministry and deal with obstacles, learn to motivate and train godly women to help others, and develop skills for event planning, team building, leadership training, Bible study selection, crisis counseling, and avoiding burnout.
- Know significant women and their ministry in Scripture and in Christian history.
- Overcome obstacles and develop a vision for purposeful ministry.
- Know various ways of equipping godly women to minister to women in the church, community, and the world.
- Build practical skills for event planning, team building, leadership training, Bible study selection, crisis counseling, and avoiding burnout.
- Understand the importance of ministry tailored to women's unique needs and perspectives.
- Read the online articles for each unit. For your convenience, content is available in more than one format. Usually, the first link for an article is in a format that automatically adapts for easy viewing on cell phones, tablets, and computers. A second link provides the same content in a PDF file if you prefer that format or if you want to save the file on your personal device for future reference. (To read PDF files, your device must have Adobe Reader).
- Listen to online video lectures. For some videos, a corresponding article is posted. Slides for each video are posted as a PDF file. If you wish, you may save the file on your computer and adapt the slides to use when you teach others. If you don't have Adobe Reader and can't download PDF, you can click on the other link for slides. This link works on all devices and contains the words from the slides but not any pictures or special formatting. NOTE: The bonus videos and articles are NOT required for you to watch and are NOT covered on the quizzes. They are available as an option for further information for you.
- Use the discussion forum to ask questions and exchange ideas with others.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 15-20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz starts, you must finish it and can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit. Please note that all quizzes are scored as 20-point quizzes, even if there are only 15 questions on that quiz. Therefore, some quiz questions will be worth more points than others.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Accessibility: All videos have scripts to go along with them.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you wanted to post about.
These books are referenced throughout the course but are NOT required reading materials:
- Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin
- Women's Ministry in the Local Church by J. Ligon Duncan & Susan Hunt
- Building and Effective Women's Ministry by Sharon Jaynes
- Defending the Faith: Apologetics in Women's Ministry by Mary Sharp
- Leading & Loving It: Encouragement for Pastor's Wives & Women in Leadership By Lori Wilhite
- Word-Filled Women's Ministry by Gloria Furman & Kathleen B. Nielson
- Made for More by Hannah Anderson
- Gospel Centered Teaching by Trevin Wax
- Legendary Women of the Bible by American Bible Society
- God's High Calling for Women by John MacArthur
- Shepherding a Woman's Heart by Beverly White Hislop
- Resource Guide for Women's Ministry by Linda McGinn Waterman
Day 1 - 10Significant Women in the Scriptures
Day 11 - 20Women's Ministry: Past, Present & Future
Day 21 - 30Overcoming Obstacles
Day 31 - 40A Women's Ministry of Purpose
Day 41 - 50Educating & Equipping Women
Day 51 - 60The Reach of Women's Ministry
Day 61 - 70Gospel-Centered Events
Day 71 - 80Women's Ministry: Starting From Scratch
Day 81 - 90Women's Ministry: Sustaining the Ministry
Day 91 - 100Diving Into 1 Timothy
Day 101 - 110Logistics and Legalities
Day 111 - 120
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can access high-quality ministry training.
If you are interested in becoming a Vision Partner, please click the link below:
Find out about the benefits of giving!
Day 121 - 150
Read the incredible testimony of this fellow Christian Leaders Institute student:
CLI student Brooke Brueckner
"I am Brooke Brueckner, and I am called to women ministry. I'm from a small town in the United States of America, Black Canyon City, Arizona.
While I was making pancakes one morning and talking to God, He told me I needed to focus on women's ministry! So I asked him, "How do I do this, Lord?" That's when I got a feeling to get online, and there's where I found Christian Leaders Institute. I'm so excited because my dream is to not only help the children of our town but to help their parents! God is preparing my husband and me to help these broken families.
Christian Leaders Institute is going to guide me down the right path to reach that goal. God is amazing and always provides. You see, I can't afford classes from many of the other online schools. I looked into it, and it is just not in my budget. But God kept bringing me back to the CLI website. I'm forever grateful to all that made this online school possible for free — not only the people that created this program but the Vision Partners as well. I'm very excited to become a vision partner soon myself."
Please pray for Brooke!
Day 151 - 180
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.