Old Testament Theology
Old Testament Theology (3 credits)
Instructor: Duane Nieuwsma
Overview: This course reveals the continuity of Scripture, focusing on the stories of the Old Testament and how they anticipate the life and work of Christ. Part 1 summarizes the redemptive-historical story that Jesus would have learned in his youth. Part 2 develops some Old Testament themes that continue to be very important for the Christian faith and life today. Both the reflections in the book and the accompanying lectures will prove helpful to those preparing to lead Bible Studies or write sermons based on the Scriptures of the Old Testament.
- Be able to identify and explain the significant events in the redemptive-historical story of the Old Testament. That story, after all, is a significant part of the history of what God has done and is doing for you in Jesus Christ.
- Gain practice in rightly reading and explaining the narratives of the Old Testament, both avoiding moralism and appreciating how these Scriptures lay a foundation for understanding the fullness of God’s reclamation of his entire Creation.
- Understand the continuity between the Old and New Testaments. In particular, be able to explain the significance of the Abrahamic Covenant and the Tabernacle/Temple in the Old Testament and what they mean in light of the New Covenant under which Christians now live.
- Become familiar with some of the Old Testament support for biblical teachings commonly derived from the Scriptures of the New Testament—teachings on such things as the Creator/Creature distinction, rebellion against God, and how God both provides an answer for sinful rebellion and actually reconciles sinners to himself, the primary ways God provides to help us embrace his priorities, some significant areas in which disciples are challenged, and biblical wisdom on marriage, family, and stewardship.
- Read the Old Testament chapters assigned for each unit, either online or in your own Bible.
- Read the online articles for each unit. For your convenience, content is available in more than one format. Usually, the first link for an article is in a format that automatically adapts for easy viewing on cell phones, tablets, and computers. The same content is also offered in a PDF file if you prefer that format or if you want to save the file on your personal device for future reference. (To read PDF files, your device must have Adobe Reader.)
- Listen to online video lectures. Slide contents of corresponding articles are also posted with many videos to aid your study or to save on your device for later use when you teach others.
- Use the discussion forum to ask questions and exchange ideas with others.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 45 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz starts, you must finish it and can’t retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don’t know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 45-minute limit.
*The course has a total of 240 points: 20 points for each of the twelve quizzes.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you wanted to post about.
Accessibility: All videos in this course have notes/slides to accompany them.
Note: This course was formerly called the “Old Testament Story of Redemption.”
Day 1 - 10
Day 11 - 20
From Slavery to Freedom
Day 21 - 30
The Kingdom of Israel
Day 31 - 40
Dissolution and Restoration
Day 41 - 50
The Continuity of Scripture
Day 51 - 60
Biblical Themes in the Old Testament
Day 61 - 70
Rebellion Against the Divine Order
Day 71 - 80
God's Answer for Sinful Rebellion
Day 81 - 90
Reconciliation with God
Day 91 - 100
Embracing God's Priorities
Day 101 - 110
Day 111 - 120
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can assess high-quality ministry training.
If you are interested in becoming a Vision Partner, Click here. Find out about the benefits of giving!
Biblical Wisdom in Everyday Life
Day 121 - 150
Read the Inspiring Testimony of Connie and her Journey with CLI!
"My name is Connie Alaniz, and I found the website for Christian Leaders Institute online when I felt called to go into ministry. I wanted an education, but never imagined that I could actually afford one. I enrolled in the associates of divinity program while working both a full-time job and a part-time job. I watched lectures on the tiny display on my phone in the mornings while I made breakfast and studied the written work during my lunch hour. I took quizzes late at night and early in the morning. I was able to do the work at my own pace at a time that was convenient for me. For years, I told myself I didn’t have time to get an education, or I didn’t have the money to pay for an education. The flexibility of the online courses makes earning a degree possible to anyone who is willing to dedicate just a few hours a week to study. In July of 2018, I retired after 30 years in public health with the State of Texas, completed my degree at CLI, and am now the Director of Children's Ministry at my church.
I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I have a daughter who lives near me in Texas and a daughter, son-in-law, and grandson in New Zealand. I live on a small ranch south of San Antonio, Texas with my husband and almost enough animals to fill an ark. My mother was a Sunday School teacher at our church, and instilled in me the values and morals of Christianity. While other children heard stories of Disney princesses, my mother read to me from her Bible. I heard stories of Daniel and the Lions' Den, Noah and the Ark, and Jonah and the whale (which may explain my fear of swimming in the ocean). Since I was a teen, I felt that God had a plan for me to be involved in ministry, but I was always too afraid to step out in faith and let Him lead me. My enrollment at CLI was my first step. In just under two years, I completed the Associates of Divinity. I look forward to building a closer walk with God on the next leg of my journey."
Please pray for Connie and her ministry!
If you are not already involved, do you want to participate in helping to offer free ministry training everywhere?
- Pray for more open doors, protection from attack, and the resources needed to expand this mission.
- Order credentials from the Guidance and Credential Panel and products from the Christian Leaders Store.
- Enroll at the College for the Degree program.
- Share this free training opportunity with new potential students. Help recruit a new generation of Christian Leaders!
Day 151 - 180
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.