The Book of Acts
The Book of Acts (3 credits)
Instructor: Dr. Craig Keener
Overview: This course explores Acts, the Bible book that describes the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, the launching of the early church, and the international spread of the gospel. Students will engage with historical background, archeological findings, literary analysis, and major theological themes. Such in-depth study enables better understanding and involvement with the Spirit's work in our own time and place.
World-renowned scholar Craig Keener offers the fruit of his vast research on Acts. His many books include Acts: An Exegetical Commentary (4,640 pages), the most thorough study of Acts ever written. This course is offered in partnership with Biblical eLearning.
- Study the historical and literary features of the Book of Acts.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the story of the Book of Acts.
- Become familiar with some major characters in the Book of Acts.
- Learn about some findings of archeology connected with the Book of Acts.
- See how the work of the Holy Spirit in Acts continues in our time.
- Read the chapters of Acts assigned for each unit, either online or in your own Bible.
- Read the online articles for each unit.
- Listen to online video lectures by Dr. Keener and Dr. David Feddes. Dr. Keener's lectures do not have notes. You must take notes to be ready for your quiz.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz has started, you must finish it, and you can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average grade for all assignments in the class must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no course credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you were wanting to post about.
Accessibility: All videos have slides to go with them.
Unit 1: Luke's Authorship of Acts
Unit 2: Miracles and Evangelism
Unit 3: The Spirit Comes in Power (Acts 1-4)
Unit 4: Witness and Persecution (Acts 5-7)
Unit 5: Reaching Samaria and Ethiopia (Acts 8)
Unit 6: Saul's Conversion (Acts 9)
Unit 7: Vision for the Nations (Acts 10-13)
Unit 8: Missions and the Jerusalem Council (Acts 14-16)
Unit 9: Mission in Europe (Acts 16-17)
Unit 10: Turning the World Upside Down (Acts 18-20)
Unit 11: Arrested in Jerusalem (Acts 21-22)
Unit 12: Prisoner's Journey to Rome (Acts 23-28)
Meet CLI Student David Adams!
"I became a Christian at 32 while serving in the Air Force. I had a mentor who saw a struggling young man and he lead me to Christ which changed the dynamics of my life. I still struggle and get caught up in the mundane elements of life but I assured by Jesus that I wont face any of these challenges alone.
I found Christian Leaders Institute by chance while searching the web, seeking a way I could become ordained as a Christian Revival Leader. I believe that God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are leading me towards this call because of the current cultural climate this world is facing. I sincerely believe we need to rejuvenate or revitalize our faith in God and get back to those basic tenants which God provided clearly in the Bible.
Through CLI I hope to gain the skills, Biblical Knowledge, and training necessary to be fruitful for Gods kingdom."
Please pray for David and his ministry!
If you are not already involved, do you want to participate in helping to offer free ministry training everywhere?
- Pray for more open doors, protection from attack, and the resources needed to expand this mission.
- Order credentials from the Guidance and Credential Panel and products from the Christian Leaders Store.
- Enroll at the College for the Degree program.
- Share this free training opportunity with new potential students. Help recruit a new generation of Christian Leaders!
Click Here to Help Support Christian Leaders Institute!
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.