BIB 464 - Colossians and Philemon
Colossians and Philemon (3 credits)
Instructor: Dr. David Feddes,
Content Providers: Dr. Sam Storms, Dr. Dan Darko
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Colossians 3:1)
Overview: This class offers an in-depth study of Paul's letters to the Colossians and to Philemon, exploring their meaning in the original context and their contemporary relevance.
- Understand Paul's main ideas and detailed explanations in Colossians and Philemon.
- Interpret Colossians and Philemon in the context of author, recipients, and cultural setting.
- Integrate major themes of these books with other strands of Scripture.
- Defend key Christian doctrines expressed in Colossians.
- Evaluate various theological perspectives in light of Colossians.
- Apply Colossians and Philemon to faith, life, and witness in contemporary settings.
Resources: This class includes videos by Dr. David Feddes and Dr. Dan Darko. (Click here to learn more about Dr. Darko.) This course also includes written materials by Dr. Sam Storms. (Click here to learn more about Dr. Storms.) For optional further study, click here to see a video sermon series by Dr. Storms, "Colossians: Christ in You, the Hope of Glory."
- Read the portion of Scripture assigned for each unit.
- Watch videos and read articles for each unit. CLI computer tracks whether you do this.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to class materials.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Recommended Commentary: R. C. Lucas, The Message of Colossians and Philemon (not required, but very helpful for anyone who plans to preach or teach from Colossians and Philemon)
Day 1 - 10
Unit 1: Introduction (Colossians 1:1-8)
Day 11 - 20
Unit 2: Glorious Might and Light (Colossians 1:9-14)
Day 21 - 30
Unit 3: The Supremacy of Christ (Colossians 1:15-20)
Day 31 - 40
Unit 4: Christ in You (Colossians 1:21-29)
Day 41 - 50
Unit 5: Riches in Christ (Colossians 2:1-14)
Day 51 - 60
Unit 6: Defeating Demons (Colossians 2:15)
Day 61 - 70
Unit 7: Lethal Legalism (Colossians 2:16-23)
Day 71 - 80
Unit 8: Heavenly Minded (Colossians 3:1-4)
Day 81 - 90
Unit 9: Newness of Life (Colossians 3:5-17)
Day 91 - 100
Unit 10 Christ-Centered Families (Colossians 3:18-21)
- This topic
Day 101 - 110Have you been enjoying this course? Do you want to help other Christian Leaders have access to free material? If so, we invite you to become a Vision Partner today!
Unit 11 Partners in God's Mission (Colossians 3:22-4:18)
Day 111 - 120
Unit 12: From Slave to Brother (Philemon)
Day 121 - 150
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Day 151 - 180
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.