Opening Conversations about Sex in the Church
by Ruth Buezis
Talking about sex-related topics in the church or in the Christian world is challenging. Many Christian parents have a difficult time talking about sex with their children. Many Christian married couples struggle to talk about sex with each other. Church leaders tend to shy away from this subject.
Even though our sexuality is one of the most important parts of being human, we hardly ever talk about it.
Opening Conversations About Sex is a mini-course that raises many important issues for discussion. In this mini-course Ruth Buezis, author of the Book Awaken Love, shares a Biblical understanding of human sexuality and the conversations the church may need to address. If you are interested in ordering her book, Order here.
This mini-course will fit you if you
- are single or married and want to ground your sexual identity in the Word of God
- are a minister, wedding officiant, marriage minister, youth minister, or a chaplain
- desire to open the conversation of sex in your church or community
- desire to see the next generation thrive in this area of experience.
- Be introduced to "Opening Up the Discussion of Sex in the Church and Christian Community."
- Learn how we got into our current conversational situation.
- Learn how our own brokenness tempers how we converse about sex.
- Learn how to create healing conversations about sex.
- See how to be respectful as we talk about sex.
- Develop an understanding of how to be proactive in a conversation about sex.
- Learn How to Develop Conversations that go beyond the "Birds and the Bees"
- Learn why today is a great opportunity for ministry in this area.
Post in 3 Forums. You will get a completion check indicating you have posted reflections and read and engaged with the comments of others.
After you complete viewing the materials and posting your reflections, there is a feedback quiz. The quiz will help us evaluate the effectiveness of the mini-course.
1. How often have you received Biblical teaching about sex in your local church? If so what were some of the topics? What subjects were missed?
2. What are some of the common messages about sex that you have heard in your culture or your gender?
3. Do you agree that the brokenness in the area of sex and sexuality is widespread? How does a compassionate response help bring healing?
1. How can we begin having healing conversations about sex?
2. Why does having a respectful conversation about sex challenge many people?
3. Why do Christians often stay in such a defensive posture on the subject of sex? How do we get more proactive?
There are some technical difficulties in these next three videos. Our apologies.
1. How does our theology about God and Sex affect our conversations about sex?
2. Why do you feel it is important to get beyond the 'birds and the bees' type of discussion? What advantage does diving deeper present to you?3. Although we live in a time of such brokenness surrounding sex and sexuality, what opportunity does this present Christians in your eyes? What would you like to see changed in our faith communities? What about outside of our communities?
Did You Enjoy This Course? Help Fund Christian Leaders Institute!
Donate to help support CLI's mission by becoming a Vision Partner!
Click Here to sign up as a monthly donor or to make a one-time donation.
Do you want others to receive scholarships for our free Christian education and ministry training? If you are able, your participation as a Vision Partner keeps this Christian Education available.
- Get Vision Partners Benefits
- More than 375,000 students have enrolled from over 180 nations
- We offer over 150 courses and mini-courses in six languages: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Ukrainian, and Chinese
Christian Leaders Store - Click Here
Purchase Christian products - all proceeds support more classes!