Sex Education and Conversations (4 Credits)
Instructor: Henry Reyenga
Content Providers: Ruth Buezis, Dr. Lloyd Carr, Pam Reyenga
Articles from Josh Spurlock and his team of counselors are also featured in this course.
Overview: Sexual intimacy is a God-given gift connected to marriage and procreation. This course discusses many vital aspects of sexuality within a Christian worldview approach in order to equip Christians and ministers to grow in their personal lives and in their ministry impact.
Disclaimer: There will be articles in this course that are NOT written from a Christian Worldview. Please read those articles with a discerning attitude.
Few areas in our lives occupy our thoughts and actions like sexuality and sexual intimacy. This area is often difficult to talk about for Christians. Since Christians struggle to address this issue and many Christians either ignore learning in this area or have accessed non-Christian sources for answers to their questions, this course aims to open up discussion of sexual intimacy in the context of a Christian worldview.
This course fits if you are...
- Interested in this topic for personal growth.
- Interested in studying a Christian worldview approach to sexuality and sexual intimacy.
- Needing to complete this course as an elective at Christian Leaders College.
- Ministering to singles, those engaged to be married, or those married.
- Ministering to those who have been injured in their sexual journey.
- Ministering as couple-clergy ministers who minister together on this topic.
- Ministering as a life coach minister, wedding officiant, marriage minister, youth minister, chaplain, etc.
- President Henry Reyenga and his wife Pam give the 12 presentations that survey Biblical teaching concerning this topic.
- Dr. Lloyd Carr wrote a celebrated commentary on the Old Testament book, Song of Solomon. His commentary is a standard for the study of this book. He shares four lectures. This course will use content featured in his mini-course.
- Ruth Buezis, the author of the book, Awaken Love, shares the Biblical understanding of human sexuality. Order here. This course will use content featured in her mini-courses.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Learn about the creation and fall of sexual intimacy and pleasure.
- Survey the fall of sexual intimacy in the Old and New Testament.
- Develop a theology of sexual intimacy renewal.
- Study "God's Design for Sex" mini-course led by Ruth Buezis.
- Study singleness and the topic of masturbation from a Biblical point of view.
- Survey some of the challenges to sexual intimacy.
- Study the Song of Solomon mini-course led by Dr. Lloyd Carr.
- Learn how to open up conversations about sex in the church and among Christians. Ruth Buezis will lead us through that discussion.
- Get training about helping others overcome sexual sin, including porn and affairs.
- Become aware of tools and insights that strengthen sexual intimacy or bring healing to sexual intimacy struggles.
- View all online lectures and articles for each unit (CLI tracks whether you do this). Since this subject matter is heavy with much extra reading in some sections, CLI will allow a retake on the quizzes with shuffled questions.)
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 60 minutes to answer the questions for each examination. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 60-minute limit.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average grade for all assignments in the class must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no course credit.
The lowest of the 12 quizzes will not be counted in your grade.
You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and retake the class to receive credit.
Notes or slides accompany most videos in this course.
Section 1: The Creation and Fall of Sexual Intimacy and Pleasure - Henry and Pamela Reyenga
Section 2: Biblical Survey of Sexual Intimacy Passages and Sex History - Henry and Pamela Reyenga
Section 3: Renewal Of Sexual Intimacy - Henry and Pamela Reyenga
Section 5: Singleness (Faithfully Unmarried), Masturbation and Marriage Masturbation Practices
Section 6: Opening Up the Discussion of Sex in the Church and Christian Community - Ruth Buezis
- Be introduced to "Opening Up the Discussion of Sex in the Church and Christian Community."
- Learn how we got into our current conversational situation.
- Learn how our own brokenness tempers how we converse about sex.
- Learn how to create healing conversations about sex.
- See how to be respectful as we talk about sex.
- Develop an understanding of how to get proactive in a conversation about sex.
- Learn how to develop conversations that go beyond the "Birds and the Bees."
- Learn why today is a great opportunity for ministry in this area.
Alert: Partially through this video and the next two videos, technical issues settled in (spiritual warfare). The sound and video feed are strained but understandable. Our apologies for this inconvenience.
Section 7: Study of Song of Songs (Solomon) - Dr. Lloyd Carr
Section 8: Sexual Intimacy in Social Sciences and the Role of the Minister
Section 9: Sexual Sins - Addressing Porn and Other Sexual Sins - Part 1
The presentations from the Mini-Course Overcoming Sexual Sin are included in this section.
Section 10: Sexual Sins - Addressing Porn and Other Sexual Sins - Part 2
Section 11: Ministering to Restore Marriage After Affairs or after Injury
Section 12: Become a Student of Ministry Sciences in the area of Sexual Intimacy