Old Testament Survey
Old Testament Survey (3 credits)
Instructor: David Feddes
Overview: This ministry training course examines the historical writings of the Old Testament, focusing on the stories of God's dealings with Israel in preparation for the coming of Jesus Christ. The class also shows some applications for contemporary Christian living and preaching. (The Old Testament's detailed laws, Psalms, wisdom writings, and prophets are featured in other classes.)
- Know major events, identify significant characters, and recognize key themes in Old Testament history.
- Trace the progressive unfolding of God's revelation in the history of salvation leading up to Jesus.
- Understand and explain the relevance of Old Testament history for knowing God and following Jesus today.
- See how sermons based on Old Testament history can glorify God, focus on Christ, and apply to people today.
- Read the Old Testament chapters assigned for each unit, either online or in your own Bible.
- Read the online articles for each unit. For your convenience, content is available in more than one format. Usually, the first link for an article is in a format that automatically adapts for easy viewing on cell phones and tablets as well as computers. A second link provides the same content in a PDF file if you prefer that format or if you want to save the file on your device for future reference. (To read PDF files, your device must have Adobe Reader.)
- Listen to online video lectures. For some videos, a corresponding article is posted. Slides for each video are posted as a PDF file. If you wish, you may save the file on your computer and adapt the slides to use when you teach others. If you don't have Adobe Reader and can't download PDF, you can click on the other link for slides. This link works on all devices and contains the words from the slides but not any pictures or special formatting.
- Use the discussion forum to ask questions and exchange ideas with others.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz has started, you must finish it, and you can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Quizzes cover Bible readings, other assigned readings, and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit.
*The course has a total of 240 points: 20 points for each of the twelve quizzes.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average grade for all assignments in the class must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no course credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you were wanting to post about.
Accessibility: Transcripts and readings are available for all videos and audios in this course.
Day 1 - 10
Unit 1: In the Beginning: Origins
Day 11 - 20
Unit 2: God's Chosen Family: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
Day 21-30Unit 3: Saved From Starvation and Slavery: Israel Enters and Exits Egypt
Day 31 - 40
Unit 4: Wilderness Wanderings: Learning the Hard Way
Day 51 - 60
Unit 6: Recurring Rot and Rescue: Judgments and Judges
Day 61 - 70
Unit 7: Israel's Final Judge and First King: Samuel and Saul
Day 71 - 80
Unit 8: Hero Yet Sinner: King David's Triumphs and Tragedies
Day 81 - 90
Unit 9: The Kingdom Expands, Then Splits
Day 91 - 100
Unit 10: Ups and Downs and Downfall: Kingdoms Judged by the Eternal King
Day 101 - 110
Unit 11: God's Beloved in Exile: Faithful Jews in Foreign Lands
Day 111 - 120
Unit 12: Exiles Return and Rebuild: Ezra and Nehemiah
Day 121 - 150
Read the testimony of this fellow Christian Leaders Institute student in Uganda:
After her husband passed away, she read the Bible and was saved!
CLI student Jacent Nowangye
"My name is Jacent Nowangye from Mbarara town in Western Uganda.
I came to know Jesus as my Saviour when my first Husband died, I realized I had no dad, had no Mum, now my husband has gone. I got a Bible and started reading it. In the process, I got saved.
I want to train future leaders in the church of Christ. I had no money for personal funding, my leadership responsibility was enlarging yet my educational support in this field was limited. It is a great resource to be a Christian leader in my area because people need the right knowledge.
My dream is to reach as many souls and bring them to salvation. Equip women and mothers to grow in faith and fight for their families; and guide the youth from self-destruction and deceptive doctrines. I have decided not to indulge the enemy in battles for myself but to equip myself to serve the LORD to win souls to Christ, equip mothers and the young in the Gospel and Christian living. I feel like I need to unpack the Bible and learn how to serve effectively. I hope to use the Christian Leaders Training to serve the LORD more effectively, confidently and equip more potential leaders and servants of the LORD."
Please pray for Jacent! If you would like you can join Vision Partners in supporting Christian leaders like Jacent who is called to be a leader in Uganda.
If you are not already involved, do you want to participate in offering free ministry training everywhere?
- Pray for more open doors, protection from attack, and the resources needed to expand this mission.
- Consider supporting and sharing with others this Christianity spreading opportunity.
- Order credentials from the Guidance and Credential Panel and products from the Christian Leaders Store.
- Enroll at the College for the Degree program.
- Share this free training opportunity with new potential students. Help recruit a new generation of Christian leaders.
Day 151 - 180
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.