Evangelism: Presenting Grace
Evangelism: Presenting Grace (3 credits)
Instructor: Dr. Gabriela Tijerina-Pike
Content Providers: Ren Broekhuizen and Dr. Ed Roels
"We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit." (Acts 5:32)
Overview: This class looks at the mighty things the Holy Spirit does in the thought, work, and practice of presenting God's grace to others through evangelism. Each unit provides practical guidance for witnessing and biblical teaching about grace.
Required Reading (All provided here online, so no book purchase is necessary.)
- Written materials and outlines from Professor Ren Broekhuizen.
- Written course material and questions by Dr. Ed Roels about grace and salvation.
- Articles on the history of evangelism from the Christian History Institute.
- Read linked articles assigned for each unit.
- View all video lectures online. (These lectures are also available as MP3 audios, but you will miss seeing helpful slides if you only listen to audio.)
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 60 minutes to answer 15 multiple-choice questions for each quiz (and one quiz with 10 questions). Once a quiz starts, you must finish it and can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 60-minute limit.
- Read articles from Christian History Institute. These articles are mostly from the archives of Christian History magazine. Thanks to CLI's partnership with Christian History, you have access to great material from excellent church historians without needing to purchase any books.
- Write an 800-1,000 word reflection paper for unit 12. This paper should sum up your discoveries in this course and describe action steps on how you plan to practice more evangelism in your life. Don't just hastily write this paper during unit 12. Instead, make a few notes in each unit of things that impressed you in your studies for that unit: helpful insights that struck you in your course of study. In unit 12, take all your notes from the first 11 units, select those that you find most valuable, pray for the Holy Spirit's leading, and put together a paper summarizing key lessons you've learned and action steps you plan to take. The paper counts for 100 points. The main value, however, is your discoveries and action plans, not the grade. Some of the content from your papers could find its way to our website blog.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all coursework will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you wanted to post about.
Accessibility: There are transcriptions available for some videos and the video slides.
- Because this course includes a paper, PLEASE make sure to understand our plagiarism policy! PLEASE read these short policies and make sure you understand the content. Thank you!
Day 1 - 10
Unit 1: Evangeliving: Introduction to Vocal Witness
Day 11 - 20
Unit 2: Support for Vocal Witness
Please note: The video reference to Matthew 29: 19, 20 should be Matthew 28: 19, 20.
Day 21 - 30
Unit 3: Lack of Vocal Witness
Day 31 - 40
Unit 4: Joy of Vocal Witnessing
Day 41 - 50
Unit 5: Overcoming Vocal Witnessing Barriers
Day 51 - 60
Unit 6: "As You Go" Vocal Witness
Day 61 - 70
Unit 7: Vocal Witness is Prepared
Day 71 - 80
Unit 8: Witnessing Vocally
Day 81 - 90
Unit 9: Handling Objections to Vocal Witnessing
Day 91 - 100
Unit 10: Developing Vocal Witness Skill
Day 101 - 110
Unit 11: Thoughtless Vocal Witnessing
Day 111 - 120
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can access high-quality ministry training.
If you are interested in becoming a Vision Partner, please click on the link below:
Find out about the benefits of giving!
Unit 12: Wrapping Up Teaching on Vocal Witnessing
Unit 12: Your final reflection paper
Course Paper on Evangelism: Presenting Grace:
Dear CLI student, we are happy to know you are approaching the end of this course, and we hope that you have found the content of this course valuable. For certain you have taken notes on the insights that struck you during the previos 11 units. Now, we want you to make use of them. Firstly, read through your notes, pray for the Holy Spirit's leading, and select the things that you find most valuable. Secondly, put together a paper summarizing key lessons you've learned and action steps you plan to take.
- Length: 800-1,000 words
- One page single-spaced with 1 inch margins is 500 words. Length: 2 pages.
- One page double-spaced is 250 words. Length: 3-4 pages.
- The paper is not graded if it does not fit this established length.
- The paper should show that you have identified key lessons of the course.
- The paper should show that the course has encouraged you to prepare a practical plan with the goal of evangelism in your ministry within your own setting.
- The paper should show the ways that this course has affected your thinking and impacted your leadership goals.
This paper counts for 100 points, accordingly:
- Paper Structure: Title (5 point)
- Paper Structure: Introduction (5 points)
- Paper Structure: Body (5 points)
- Paper Structure: Conclusion (5 points)
- Grammar (5 points)
- Spelling (5 points)
- Clear summary of this course within the paper structure (35 points)
- Clear plan of action within the paper structure (35 points)
- = Total 100 points
- Submission: Papers may take 1-2 weeks to be graded. Make sure to submit this paper at least two weeks before your enrollment date ends.
- Plagiarism: Make sure you have read CLI PLAGIARISM POLICY before you write this paper.
- When graded, if you are asked to rewrite your paper, you will have only one more chance to do it. Papers that need to be rewritten will have an automatic 10 points deducted from the total score of the paper. Be sure you take advantage of the first and second chance to get a good grade!
Day 121 - 150
Read the Inspiring Testimony of this Fellow Christian Leaders Institute Student:
The evangelism of a young woman led him to God!
CLI student Anderson Queto
"My name is Anderson Queto and was born on the 26th of January 1976 in St. Lucia, a beautiful island in the Caribbean.
I found myself gravitating to nightlife, partying, and sexual activity. I began stealing from my parents to support my habits, and I had no idea of consequences. Here I was in high school, still fifteen years old, and with a rap sheet of things I had done that would make jaws drop. But one afternoon while I was having lunch under a tree, I was approached by a classmate; a young lady, and out of the blue she asked me the most terrifying question I was ever asked - do you believe in God? It was terrifying because at that moment all the things I had done flashed before my eyes. She told me about the wonderful love of God and His Son Jesus Christ. I gave my heart to the Lord, and I have been serving Him to this day. I thank God for this young lady who is now my beautiful wife, Sherian. I am the proud father of our son Joshua. Together, my wife and I, will be sharing 21 years of marriage.
My dream is to see God's people come to a growing knowledge of the God through His word so that we can be faithful and effective witnesses of the Lord Jesus Christ in lifestyle and in word glorifying God. The free training is necessary because I can't afford other schools.
CLI is important to me because it gives me a systematic approach to training. I appreciate the information that will make me a better leader, and the credential will help with ministry credibility."
Please pray for Anderson!
Day 151 - 180
The course has ended. Please make sure:
- All assignments have been completed and submitted for grading.
- All quizzes have been completed.
If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.