MIN 420 - Worship Ministry (3 credits)
Instructors: Steve and Marie Elzinga
Overview: This course examines the cultivation and practice of worship ministry. You will gain a deeper understanding of various elements of public worship, develop the ability to lead worship teams and musical praise, equip others to be effective worship leaders, discern the impact of worship style on seekers and longtime church members, and make the most of worship space, sound, and lighting.
- Understand what worship is and what is involved in leading public worship.
- Know how to enhance various elements of public worship.
- Develop vision and practical ability for leading worship teams and musical praise.
- Evaluate and make the most of worship space, sound system, and lighting.
- Consider the impact of worship style on new people and long-time church members.
- View all online lectures and read all articles in each unit. CLI computer tracks whether you do this.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz starts, you must finish it and can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First, answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the class and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all course work will be removed. You will have to start over and take the class again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you were wanting to post about.
Accessibility: This course has transcripts for all videos.
Day 1 - 10: How to Be an Effective Worship Leader
Day 11 - 20: Elements of Worship (other than music)
Day 21 - 30: The Vision & Strategy of the Music Program of the Church
Day 31 - 40: Worship Music Streams
Day 41 - 50: The Worship Leader (Part One)
Day 51 - 60: The Worship Leader (Part Two)
Day 61 - 70: Three Key Worship Players
There are several more guitar videos and other downloads at the end of this course in the section labeled "supplemental"
Day 71 - 80: The Next Three Key Players
Day 81 - 90: Song Writing
Day 91 - 100: Sound Basics
Day 101 - 110: Worship Space
Day 111 - 120: One More Thing...
Day 121 - 150: Supplemental
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can assess high-quality ministry training.
Read the Inspiring Testimony of this Fellow Christian Leaders Institute Student
CLI Student Alisha Alexis
"I wasn't born into a Christian family. I actually wasn't raised in a family that practiced any set faith. My grandmother was Catholic, and would pray for the family, often taking us to church in my early childhood years, but eventually, my home life became very dysfunctional. Never meeting my father, and a mother that struggled with alcoholism, growing up was not the easiest. My childhood was full of abuse that caused me to grow bitter and rebellious. I was always considered that one that had a lot of talent and smarts, but no outlet, and often found myself making the wrong decisions just to make people happy and to be accepted. I always knew I wanted to help people, and had a passion for music and writing, yet with no direction, I constantly found myself making poor decision after poor decision. Eventually leading me to working in some pretty bad places. I lost all hope in myself and became infatuated with a negative lifestyle, yet my heart always felt empty. No matter who I was around, how much money was being spent, what car was being driven, I knew that there was more. More that I was created for. One day I turned on T.V. and started watching a Pastor that I really liked, and found out that the church was local. So I started to attend. [...]
My ministry dream is to help people step into their calling in the local church. To help the local church develop and use creativity to help the next generation bring their passions and God together. To see young people use their gifts as a way to bring Glory to God. To help young women, especially those who feel like they fit nowhere, find their place in God's kingdom. Those that feel as though their life is done, realize that it has only just began the day they commit their lives to Jesus Christ. That church isn’t this place of rules and boring regulations, but it is a place of freedom. A place you can bring all of who you are and use it to celebrate your creator and savior. I want people to see that they don’t have to separate themselves from the church to be who they are, but they are able to fully walk in their identity and who they have been called to be. Our heart is to see an awakening in this city and we know we have our work cut out for us, but we are believing for big things above and beyond our own ability."
Please pray for Alisha and her ministry!
Do you want to participate in bringing free ministry training worldwide?
- Pray for more open doors, protection from attack, and the resources needed to expand this mission.
- Consider supporting and sharing with others this Christianity spreading opportunity.
- Order credentials from the Guidance and Credential Panel and products from the Christian Leaders Store.
- Enroll at the College for the Degree program.
- Share this free training opportunity with new potential students. Help recruit a new generation of Christian leaders.
End of Course
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.